Thursday, February 12, 2009

"For Poets" Al Young

"Stay Beautiful". These two words dragged me into this poem, lets see if it does the same for you. "For Poets" by Al Young can go down as one of my favorite poems ever. A few things I enjoyed about this poem was the sharp organization, uplifting inspirational aspects, and how it portrays life.

Organization acts as the blueprint to a good poem. One can feel how the poet felt while writing this poem by the way a poem reads. The amount of words in the poem might show one of a few things. It can show that he didnt want to go too deep into the poem or that it didnt take many words to get the point across. Structure provides a feel for the rhythm in which it should sound. Punctuation can also give the reader the rhythm and how it reads.

Inspiration in a poem can be the deciding factor in whether it is a good poem or a great poem. After reading "For Poets" several times, I can definitely tell that this poem inspires people, a good job of it at that. Not only does this poem give someone inspiration to go out and do things, it also gives examples of what not to do. "Breathe in trees","Knock out mountains", these words of inspiration express through hyperboles. "Dont stay underground too long" plays as a warning.

Life. This poem expresses many things in life. Non-living and living objects show human activity. "Dont turn into a mole, or a worm, or a root, or a stone". Both living and non-living yet they express the same thing. This poem elaborates on a specific lifestyle. Stay yourself, but dont become boring. Get out there, experiment, let yourself be known. "Dont forget to fly". This lifestyle fulfills my taste of a good. The life of this poem and the life I want to live, seem like one.

So like I said before, the organization, inspiration, and the life of this poem really tickle my fancy. When I see how the poem is organized it reads itself to me. Inspiration makes me want to go out and do something before I'm even done reading it. The way this poem describes life, will be like how I want to live my life. Maybe if you read this poem sometime it will open up your eyes and give you a new perspective on life.

No comments: